Managing Knee Arthritis
As a physiotherapist, I often see patients with knee arthritis seeking ways to manage their symptoms at home. While there is no cure for knee arthritis, there are several scientifically proven methods to help reduce pain and improve joint function.
Methods to Help Improve Symptoms of Knee Arthritis
- Exercise regularly: Regular low-impact exercises such as cycling, swimming, and water aerobics can help improve range of motion in your knees and reduce arthritis pain. Strengthening exercises for the muscles around the knee, such as the quadriceps and hamstrings, can also help reduce stress on the knee joint.
- Use heat or cold therapy: Applying heat or cold to the affected knee can help reduce pain and swelling. A warm bath, heating pad, or hot water bottle can help soothe sore joints, while an ice pack can help reduce swelling and numb pain.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight places additional stress on the knee joint, so maintaining a healthy weight can help reduce symptoms of knee arthritis.
- Use assistive devices: Canes, knee braces, or other assistive devices can help reduce stress on the knee and improve stability. Your physiotherapist can help you determine which device is best for you.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, can help reduce arthritis pain and inflammation of the knees. However, it’s important to talk to your doctor before starting any new medication.
By incorporating these 5 scientifically proven methods into their daily routine, individuals with knee arthritis can effectively manage their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
If you are suffering with knee pain due to arthritis, our team at Advanced Health & Sports Clinic is here to help. We have locations in both Nanaimo and Parksville and a team of experienced physiotherapists who are available to assist you in managing your pain and improving your overall quality of life. Contact us today or book an appointment using our convenient online booking system.